Coated Reinforced Concrete
Heidelberg Materials Protect
Structures made with reinforced concrete have the potential to corrode due to deterioration. This is mainly due to the corrosion of the admixtures which grant this reinforcing ability. Heidelberg Materials Coated Concrete extends the life of structures and buildings by protecting the reinforcement within the concrete with a special corrosion inhibitor.
As corrosion of the reinforcement progresses, the steel reinforcement not only weakens but expands. These expansion forces cause the concrete to crack and spall and subsequently lose its structural integrity, which can be prevented with use of Heidelberg Materials Protect. Heidelberg Materials Protect is available from all of our static and mobile production plants.
Heidelberg Materials Protect incorporates an integral active agent that coats the steel rebars, providing protection from corrosion. It can be used as an enhancement to conventional cathodic protection systems or as a standalone product to offer greater lifetime design and prevent reinforcement corrosion.
Main factors influencing reinforcement corrosion
- Chloride penetration
- Moisture absorption
- Incorrect cover to reinforcement
- Structural damage
- Tidal zones/coastal construction
- Splash zones on highway structures
- Bridge decks
- External supporting columns
- External, heavily reinforced concrete
- Internal areas of high moisture/humidity
- Water treatment works
- Biomass plants
- Salt storage areas
- Aggressive chemical environments
- Significantly reduced costs over sacrificial cathodic protection systems
- Significantly reduced costs over integral electrical monitoring cathodic protection systems
- No additional associated labour or installation issues
- Increased structural lifespan
- Reduced maintenance and repair costs
- Backed by full BBA certification
- Available from all Heidelberg Materials Concrete plants
Benefits subject to good concreting practice (placement, finishing and curing).
Case study - Queen Elizabeth II Bridge
Heidelberg Materials supplied C70 concrete mixes for piles, foundation and bridge segments as well as 40,000m3 of Regen for this project that is the crossing point for the M25 highway over the Thames at Thurrock. .
Heidelberg Materials is a member of the Quality Scheme for Ready-mixed Concrete (QSRMC) and all our products carry this certification.